Archive ref no: NCA-18771
Communist Party of Nepal (Maoist)
After the ceasefire proclamation, an extensive meeting of the Standing Committee of our Party was concluded under the Chairmanship of President Com.Prachanda. This Press Release is issued in order to flash out the decision of the meeting in brief.
1. Expressing honour to all known and unknown martyrs of the People's War and pre War period, all the comrades those who have attended this meeting present a positively inquisitive report in regard to the present situation.
2. The meeting has unanimously resolved the analysis ceasefire and the strategic importance of the process of negotiation presented by Com.Prachanda in the present context. Accordingly, the Party presents itself with sole and solemn responsibility in order to create a positive scenario for the country and people through ceasefire and the process of dialogue.
3. The meeting has decided to raise voice to solve the crisis of the present civil war in the country through peaceful negotiation and to thank and heartily greet all those human right organizations, intellectuals; political Parties and the common mass for their contribution in mobilization for peaceful solution. Further, this mass extends best wishes to some international organizations, which undertook effort for peaceful means.
4. The meeting has recognized the Central Negotiation Team in order to mobilize process for dialogue with great responsibility. The new Negotiation Team consists of Com.Baburam Bhatarai - Co-ordinator, Com. Ram Bahadur Thapa (Com.Badal) - member, Com. Dev Gurung -member, Com. Krishna Bahadur Mahara -member and Com. Matrika Parsed Yadav -member.
5. In the present changing context, the meeting has decided to call off the ensuing "Nepal Bandh (general strike)" scheduled to be held on 13 and 14 February in joint effort by the Party, the Army and the Front and related activities there-under. It has been decided to inform all Zones and districts to celebrate the forthcoming anniversary of the People's War, Martyrs' Week, and all other regular activities like festivals in a peaceful manner in accordance with one's situation.
6. The meeting has further decided to request certain intellectuals and political personalities to assist as facilitators to make progress in course of negotiation.
7. The meeting has drawn attention to the proclamation of ceasefire, its rumours and dilemma. The meeting wants to clarify that the media information about proclamation of ceasefire and the meeting or secret relation of our Central Committee members with the palace or any of its alliance is completely baseless and false. The meeting requests the common mass to remain alert against such rumours as the Party Centre was in mediation with certain human right activists and political personalities to facilitate atmosphere for talk, but the Party centre never established any such unfair relation with any concern. The present ceasefire is not a sudden concurrence since constant efforts were being made for dialogue from various corners, the current regime had also intended to hold talks and as our Party wished to sit for dialogue if the congenial atmosphere was created. In course of talk, there is nothing to doubt and undermine importance and role of the political parties since this meeting decided to clarify that our Party had been involved in interaction with various political parties, the round table conference with intellectual personalities, issues like, interim government, the Constituent Assembly for progress against retrogression and continues political relation with the leaders of the various political parties. We expect that a new, peace and progressive Nepal be born out of the process of negotiation involving the current regime, our Party, all political parties, intellectual personalities and the common mass to relieve the country from the present critical political crisis without reservation. This is our very essence and justification for the round-table conference. Naturally, we expect this solemn and serious concern from the regime, all political parties and the intellectual personalities.
( Prachanda )
Communist Party of Nepal (Maoist)
( Unauthorized translation)