2003-12-09 - incident - Banke district २०६०-०८-२३ - घटना - बाँके जिल्ला

Archive ref no: NCA-11160 अभिलेखालय सि. नं.: NCA-11160

Alleged incident overview | घटेको भनिएको घटनाको समीक्षा

Information regarding alleged incident | घटेको भनिएको घटनासम्बन्धी जानकारी

  • 184. Bhupendra Upreti
  • Thirty-eight-year-old Bhupendra Upreti, a hardware-shop owner in the Birendra Chowk Bazaar of Nepalgunj, was detained together with a friend by RNA soldiers on December 9, 2003 (Monsir 23, 2060), while walking to a barbershop after closing his shop. According to his relatives, Bhupendra Upreti had been drinking at the time, and may have argued with the soldiers.
  • Three days after the arrest, Upreti sent a message to his family through a vegetable seller, saying he was being held at Rajha Airport Barracks near Nepalgunj, and saying he would probably be released in a few days. A relative went to Rajha Airport Barracks, where soldiers confirmed that he was being detained, telling the relative: "Don't worry; if he is not guilty he will be released." Two weeks later, the friend who was detained with Upreti was released, and informed the family that he had been kept together with Upreti for the first four days at Rajha Airport Barracks, but had then been separated from him when soldiers took Upreti out of the room.
  • The family again began searching for Upreti and managed to see the commander of Rajha Airport Barracks. The commander denied that Upreti had been arrested by his soldiers or that he was being held at the base. When the family informed him that the fellow detainee had confirmed he and Upreti had been kept there, the commander asked for the family's phone number and said he would call them. The family has not been able to get any more information about the fate of Upreti. The case was reported to the ICRC, NHRC, and various human rights organizations. The family also petitioned the king and filed a habeas corpus petition, which remains undecided.180

Incident Reference Tools | घटनासम्बन्धी सन्दर्भ सामग्री