2002-08-17 - incident - Bardiya district २०५९-०५-०१ - घटना - बर्दिया जिल्ला
Archive ref no: NCA-06611
Alleged incident overview | घटेको भनिएको घटनाको समीक्षा
Information regarding alleged incident | घटेको भनिएको घटनासम्बन्धी जानकारी
- 134. Basant Prasad Chowdhury
- On August 17, 2002 (Bhadra 1, 2059), at around 7 p.m., a group of uniformed RNA soldiers came to the village of Manpur in Magaragadi VDC-4. They detained thirty-three-year-old Basant Prasad Chowdhury in the shop he owned and brought him to his home to look for his brother, who was not there at the time.
- The soldiers then took Chowdhury to the house of twenty-five-year-old Raju Tharu, who had worked as a laborer in India for the previous five years. The soldiers ordered Raju Tharu to accompany them, saying they had "a little business" with him, and walked both men away. 130
- A relative of Chowdhury, who took a side street and followed the soldiers, saw them putting him in a white van and driving away.
- Chowdhury's family inquired at the Rambhapur army barracks, but the army denied having him in their custody. The case was reported INSEC and the ICRC.
- Chowdhury's relatives say that the Maoists once came to his house and beat him, but do not know if he was ever involved with them.131