2002-07-07 - incident - Kaski district २०५९-०३-२३ - घटना - कास्की जिल्ला
Archive ref no: NCA-06344
Alleged incident overview | घटेको भनिएको घटनाको समीक्षा
Information regarding alleged incident | घटेको भनिएको घटनासम्बन्धी जानकारी
- 59. Som Bahadur Bishwokarma
- At around 9 a.m. on July 7, 2002 (Ashad 23, 2059), a twenty-nine-year-old carpenter, Som Bahadur Bishwokarma, was visiting his aunt in Gandaki regional hospital in Pokhara. Two other visitors called the nearby Fulbari barracks and told the army he was in the hospital. A group of uniformed RNA soldiers from the barracks came some twenty minutes later and took Bishwokarma away. According to the family, Bishwokarma was not involved with any political party, and was arrested on the sole basis of this false denunciation.
- He was taken to the Fulbari barracks, where his family visited him regularly. However, three months later, an army official at the barracks told the family that Bishwokarma had been transferred to a prison, but did not say which one. The family searched every prison in the area, but was unable to find Bishwokarma.
- A year later the family inquired at the district police office in Pokhara, where a police official told them that they had received Bishwokarma's case, and were expecting him to be brought there. The police assured Bishwokarma's relatives that he would come home soon, but he never did.
- Over the next year the family and INSEC, whom the family informed of the case, kept inquiring at the district police office, local prisons, and at the Fulbari barracks. In July 2004 the army at the barracks told INSEC that Bishwokarma was still alive but would not disclose his whereabouts. The police had no information.56