2002-06-10 - incident - Banke district २०५९-०२-२७ - घटना - बाँके जिल्ला

Archive ref no: NCA-06059 अभिलेखालय सि. नं.: NCA-06059

Alleged incident overview | घटेको भनिएको घटनाको समीक्षा

Information regarding alleged incident | घटेको भनिएको घटनासम्बन्धी जानकारी

  • 189. Yagya Budha
  • On June 10, 2002 (Jestha 27, 2059), a large group of police officers, some uniformed and others in civilian dress, conducted a large arrest operation in Jammunitole village, Kohalpur VDC-6, Banke district. The police operation apparently was in response to a CPN-M arson attack on a nearby forestry ranger station that had occurred on May 12, 2002 (Baishak 29, 2059). The police arrested a total of fourteen people from the village. Three villagers remain missing to date: thirty-year-old Yagya Buddi and his twenty-eight-year-old brother Nar Bahadur Buddi, and twenty-year-old Gagan Bahadur Gharti, all of whom worked as seasonal laborers in India. A fourth detainee, fourteen-year-old Narda Ram Gharti, died from torture injuries while in detention.
  • One of the released detainees, who was a sixteen-year-old boy at the time of the events, told Human Rights Watch that the detainees were blindfolded by the police and taken to the Kohalpur district police station. At the police station, the men were questioned about the destruction of the forestry ranger post, but were not beaten or tortured. The men were then taken to Chisapani barracks, where they repeadtedly suffered severe beatings. The detainee, aged sixteen at the time of the beatings, recalled:
  • We were kept in the yard of the barracks and then were called one by one for questioning. Inside [the interrogation room], they asked us about the attack on the forestry range post and beat us with heavy bamboo sticks. I couldn't even breathe for five minutes after one beating. I was blindfolded, so I couldn't see how many they were. They hit me with the bamboo stick four or five times, and then they ordered me to stay out in the sun all day. In the evening, I was called back to the same room and beaten again with the stick, four or five times.184
  • After eleven days of beatings and interrogation at Chisapani Army Barracks, most of the men were shifted back to Kohalpur district police station. However, the three men who remain missing to date stayed behind at Chisapani Army Barracks: "The soldiers called out all of our names except three." By the time of the transfer back to Kohalpur district police station, fourteen-year-old Narda Ram Gharti was close to death from the beatings he had faced: "He was with us, but he was very sick. When I last saw him, he was swollen all over his body." The ailing boy was soon transferred to Nepalgunj, where he died from his injuries.
  • The remaining men were soon released from Kohalpur police station, but the three detainees who remained behind at Chisapani Army Barracks remain "disappeared" to date. The relatives of the "disappeared" informed ICRC and various human rights organizations, but have received no information of their fate.185

Incident Reference Tools | घटनासम्बन्धी सन्दर्भ सामग्री