2002-01-24 - incident - Bardiya district २०५८-१०-११ - घटना - बर्दिया जिल्ला
Archive ref no: NCA-03419
Alleged incident overview | घटेको भनिएको घटनाको समीक्षा
Information regarding alleged incident | घटेको भनिएको घटनासम्बन्धी जानकारी
- On January 24, 2002 (Magh 11, 2058), a group of dozens of uniformed police officers came to Madaha village in Motipur VDC, Bardia district. The police arrested three men from the village.
- Twenty-four-year-old Tulsi Ram Tharu, a farmer, was feeding his family's cattle when he saw the police approach, and went to hide under his bed. The police found and arrested him and searched his home, demanding that the family hand over their weapons, which the family denied having in its possession. The police then blindfolded Tulsi Ram and led him away.164
- The police also arrested thirty-six-year-old Lachi Ram, a carpenter, from his home and beat him severely.165 Twenty-eight-year-old Darbari Tharu was arrested by the police while he was walking to his job at a nearby brick factory.166 The families of all three men denied any links to CPN-M.
- The families immediately searched for the three missing men at police stations in the area, and soon established they were being held at the Banshghadi police post, but were not allowed to visit them. The men were then transferred to the detention center at the Guleria district police office, where the families were allowed to visit them for a period of about two and a half months. Suddenly, on April 25, 2002 (Baishak 12, 2059), the prison authorities told the families that the men were no longer at the prison, but provided no explanation for what had happened to them.
- Kantipur newspaper announced the release of the three men on July 31, 2003, but they never arrived home. The families informed the ICRC, INSEC, and other human rights groups of the "disappearances," but have received no further news.167