2001-04-25 - incident - Bardiya district २०५८-०१-१२ - घटना - बर्दिया जिल्ला
Archive ref no: NCA-02136
Alleged incident overview | घटेको भनिएको घटनाको समीक्षा
Information regarding alleged incident | घटेको भनिएको घटनासम्बन्धी जानकारी
- On the afternoon of April 25, 2001 (Baishak 12, 2058), three young men -- nineteen-year-old Kaliya Ram Tharu, twenty-year-old Shiva Prasad Tharu, and twenty-year-old Prem Kumar Tharu, all farmers -- were busy killing rats in the rice fields around Maishahi village, Mohamadpur VDC, Bardia district. A mixed group of police and RNA soldiers, some uniformed but most in civilian clothes, came from the direction of the Guleria district police headquarters, surrounded the men in the field, and detained them. Three others were detained, bringing the total number of detainees to six.
- The six detained men were brought to the village, where they were interrogated for approximately one half hour about a recent Maoist attack on a nearby government office, the Cotton Development Committee.177 The security forces released two of the men and brought the other four to Guleria District police office.
- One of the detainees was released four days later, after the ex-chairman of the village came to the police office and vouched for him. According to the released detainee, the ex-chairman also asked about the other three men, but the police said that they "had handed them over."178
- Kaliya Ram Tharu, Shiva Prasad Tharu, and Prem Kumar Tharu were last seen by the released detainee in the Guleria district police office. None of the men had any ties to the CPN-M, according to their families.
- The day after the arrests, a local FM radio station announced that the three men had been killed in an "encounter" with the security forces, although the broadcast did not give the men's names.
- The families of the "disappeared" have reported the "disappearance" to the ICRC and to various human rights organizations, and visited army and police barracks throughout the district, but have not obtained any information about the fate of the three men.179