0000-00-00 - incident - Kathmandu district ००००-००-०० - घटना - काठमाडौं जिल्ला

Archive ref no: NCA-18395 अभिलेखालय सि. नं.: NCA-18395

Alleged incident overview | घटेको भनिएको घटनाको समीक्षा

Information regarding alleged incident | घटेको भनिएको घटनासम्बन्धी जानकारी

  • No.36
  • Name RAYAMAJI, Kiran
  • Alleged Dates of ArrestUNCONFIRMED
  • Among those former detainees whose whereabouts are still not clarified are three individuals who were reported very ill when last seen by many former co-detainees in 2004 and in early 2005. Khadka Bahadur Gharti Magar, a middle-aged businessman, Padam Narayan Nakarmi and Kiran Rayamaji, both students, are believed to have died while in custody in early 2004 and in early 2005 as a result of ill-treatment and torture and related health problems that were allowed to worsen without necessary medical treatment. Detainees recall that by late December 2003, Gharti Magar and Narayan Nakarmi were both suffering from severe swelling of the body and overall weakness. Several detainees recall that both begged guards and officers for more food during a long period. Khadka Bahadur Gharti Magar begged officers to request money from his relatives to buy food. All of the detainees suffered from malnutrition, which made everyone susceptible to illness. Such illness became severe in the case of these two individuals. Padam Narayan Nakarmi eventually could not eat and may have developed tuberculosis. By the month of March 2004, within days of one another, they were separately removed from the Hall on stretchers. It was unclear to witnesses whether they were still alive at that point. The RNA allegedly returned the body of Khadka Bahadur Gharti Magar to his family. Neither individual is included in the official list of detainees as provided to OHCHR by the Bhairabnath battalion. The whereabouts of these two individuals is still unkown.
  • A third individual, Kiran Rayamaji, developed a serious eye disease of the right eye. Numerous witnesses are able to describe how the eye increasingly protruded, causing immense pain. He was apparently taken to hospital for a week at one point during 2004, but without any apparent improvement following his return to Maharajgunj. He was left behind in Maharajgunj when other detainees were transferred to Sivapuri in January 2005. He remains on the list of disappeared.
  • In mid-January 2005, approximately 18 detainees were loaded in a truck and taken from the Maharajgunj high security tents to an army camp in Sivapuri forest under the command of the Yuddha Bhairab battalion. Some individuals were left behind, including Kiran Rayamaji, who was extremely ill with an infected eye. He remains disappeared. The others journeyed to a relatively high altitude in Sivapuri forest to a residential compound with a central courtyard and adjoining rooms. This was their last collective detention place before they were eventually transferred to official facilities in acknowledged detention.

Incident Reference Tools | घटनासम्बन्धी सन्दर्भ सामग्री

Reference Documents | दस्तवेज